Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE

Post subject: McNear Rolls-Royce Phantom I
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am 
Master coachbuilder

"This early Springfield built left hand drive example, chassis S442FL, was first delivered with a Salamanca Permanent Town Car body in January 1927 to William Skinner of New York City. This was a popular body style and certainly one of the most attractive designs available at the time. As with many cars of the period, records do not show what became of the car thereafter, but it is known that the car was offered back to Rolls-Royce in January 1935 with an asking price of $250! We suspect that around this time the car was indeed sold to a new owner who decided to update the car by fitting new coachwork. This of course was a very common practice with coachbuilt cars of high quality and many Rolls-Royces, notably Silver Ghosts and Phantom I's, received several different bodies during their working life (and some still do today!) to suit a new owner's tastes and needs. This Phantom I was fitted with the current coupe coachwork by George W. McNeer of Brookline, MA. George McNeer was a well known car dealer and coachbuilder based in the Boston area and it is known he fitted out a few Rolls-Royces, later becoming quite well known as a Nash dealer. We believe the owner at this time was Mr. Norman V. Gifford of Warwick, Rhode Island, and also Yaphank, Long Island. Apparently Mr. Gifford was a successful salesman for a cinder block company and he used this car as his regular transport up until 1940. At this time it would appear that the car went into storage on blocks."

Here you can find more infos:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/ ... ID=1772629

Attachments:
1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I McNear Coupé--Chassis S442FL.png
1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I McNear Coupé--Chassis S442FL.png [ 196.98 KiB | Viewed 676 times ]
 Profile E-mail