>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:13 am

Post subject: Re: Barker Mercedes-Benz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:41 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Earl Howe at 1930 Brighton Rally

Attachments:
barkermbearlhowe.jpg
barkermbearlhowe.jpg [ 453 KiB | Viewed 1376 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm 
Rookie

As far as I remember the Paget car was not an SSK, but a shortened SS, reg UV 5424, In fact when got to know it in 1981 just out of an auction, it had seats which I am certain were out of a Bentlley of the same era as the drivers seat had a cut out forr the gear lever, and were very Bentley green... The fuel tank was gunged up and had to have an SU pump fitted inline to help the vacuum system, it passed it's MOT test easily in those days and ran very well..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm 
Rookie

As for the Milligen car,, it looks very much as I saw it in 1981 on a couple of occasions,, George Milligen did wear lederhosen and used to drive to board meetngs in London in a late 30's Bentley he was given as a birthday present, and while there would head to Ronnie Scotts Jazz club in the hope of being allowed to play his trumpet..and to me his car remains the most desirabe SSK there is

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 am 
Craftsman

2017 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
Best of Show

Attachments:
I_02_elegantopen.JPG
I_02_elegantopen.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 948 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm 
Coachbuilder

It is so good to see this car returned to its original form, and in blue again and with the conforming luggage. Excellent undertaking and work by both Messrs McCaw and Babinsky. Bit shiny though - take it out for a blast! Seriously though, it does look right, capturing the shape of the original Barker coachwork most convincingly. The body that had progressively modified over its lifetime had maintained a continuous history, but it is nice to see that a true re-birth was achieved when the time became necessary.

We still have a lot more about this car erroneously file under Gurney Nutting - can I make another plea for it to be administratively moved?

Clive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Topic has been moved to Barker!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm 
Coachbuilder

Many thanks esteemed administrator! Now we can easily compare the original with its restoration.

Clive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:00 pm 
Coachbuilder

runninggear wrote:
As far as I remember the Paget car was not an SSK, but a shortened SS, reg UV 5424, In fact when got to know it in 1981 just out of an auction, it had seats which I am certain were out of a Bentlley of the same era as the drivers seat had a cut out forr the gear lever, and were very Bentley green... The fuel tank was gunged up and had to have an SU pump fitted inline to help the vacuum system, it passed it's MOT test easily in those days and ran very well..

UV5424 was indeed cut'n'shut to give the impression of being an SSK and has also been connected with Dorothy Paget, but it is not the Barker-bodied car. That was originally UV1132 and, as far as I know, a genuine SSK acquired by her.

UV5424 had a Corsica body at one stage, but that was long gone by the early 80s and it had something that looked like an attempt to make a Morris tourer by folding it out of a single piece of sheet. I believe it is now in Germany with its SSK transformation more convincingly executed.

Clive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:43 pm 
Rookie

neuilly wrote:
runninggear wrote:

UV5424 was indeed cut'n'shut to give the impression of being an SSK and has also been connected with Dorothy Paget, but it is not the Barker-bodied car. That was originally UV1132 and, as far as I know, a genuine SSK acquired by her.

UV5424 had a Corsica body at one stage, but that was long gone by the early 80s and it had something that looked like an attempt to make a Morris tourer by folding it out of a single piece of sheet. I believe it is now in Germany with its SSK transformation more convincingly executed.

Clive.

Profile E-mail