>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Post subject: Balogh/Budapest Maybach Zeppelin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Who knows the coachbuilder Balogh from Budapest/Hungary.
Here a Maybach Zeppelin Sport-Cabriolet from Balogh.
Sources: Harry Niemann/Mythos Maybach

Attachments:
baloghmaybach 001.jpg
baloghmaybach 001.jpg [ 279.6 KiB | Viewed 1082 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Balogh/Budapest Maybach Zeppelin
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 pm 
Craftsman

You can see more of his work here:
http://magyarjarmu.hu/karosszeria-gyart ... ef-es-tsa/

József Balogh was born in 1892 and worked at the coachbuilding factory of Frigyes Haltrich after the first World War, eventually becoming a partner in the company. In 1927 Haltrich and Balogh separated. Balogh remained at the former Haltrich site in the 8th district in Budapest. Balogh had a new partner, Árpád Horváth, a car repairman.
Over the years the company bodied several Minerva cars and at least one Maybach Zeppelin (see it on my site), which was also shown at Friedrichshafen at the Maybach factory.
I don't recognise the picture shown by TommyK, but I'll try to look into it.

The Balogh&co company moved to the 13th district in 1938. They bodied a Commer truck in that year and a year later supplied some bus bodies to the Budapest bus company. Naturally there must have been other works carried out, but I don't have any info on that.
The company was nationalised (as all other companies) in 1948.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Thank you, Pal, for the information !

with greetings
Tommy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Two more pics of this car. There is no doubt the car was supplied to Hungary. It has been named as a Spohn bodied car in the books (Metternich in particular), and the real question is what the truth is. There has been doubt in the past with different coachbuilders all claimed to be the only one. The coachwork badge in sight looks very Spohn to me. Note that the car is on German registration plates. The general outlooks of the car are in line with a two door version of their lower built four door allweather cars (an easier sell to German customers). I wonder if there would have been a cooperation between Spohn and Balogh to produce the end result? :? The name of Balogh would have helped the car winning in concourses in that region, after all? And the car would have been more 'socially' acceptable with economic doom coming up? And would Maybach used very similar looking car for international advertising without the involvement of Spohn. Anyway, enjoy the pics..

Attachments:
bild6.jpg
bild6.jpg [ 105.26 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]
spohn maybach ds8 dhc hungary.jpg
spohn maybach ds8 dhc hungary.jpg [ 32.72 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 am 
Craftsman

Yes, the last picture is also known in Hungary. As far as we know this car was bodied by Spohn. I don't know why it is labelled as a Balogh-body

The only Maybach Balogh is known to have bodied is this one:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 am 
Master coachbuilder

I think, that it's a mistake of the Niemann-book. I've found more mistakes there, so Niemann labeled a Spohn-Maybach Zeppelin which is seen on a Spohn ad as a Gläser one. See the topic Spohn Maybach.

with greetings
Tommy

Profile E-mail