Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE

Post subject: Vignale Monica
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:32 am 
Master coachbuilder

Monica by Vignale. A good looking car, but unfortunately very few were actually marketed and sold

Attachments:
MonicaFront.jpg
MonicaFront.jpg [ 61.34 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]
monicaARR.jpg
monicaARR.jpg [ 39.37 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]
monicarear.jpg
monicarear.jpg [ 52.2 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]
monicabord.jpg
monicabord.jpg [ 65.59 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Monica by Vignale
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 am 
Coachbuilder

I did not know this car was designed/built by Vignale!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm 
Apprentice

At the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year I happened to see Chris Lawrence's own Monica (he was responsible for the mechanical design and productionisation of the car - against significant odds!). He still uses it as an everyday car and had in fact hitched his caravan to it and driven to Goodwood, where his Deep Sanderson was one of the cars running this year. Having admired the Monica in magazines since its launch, I was delighted actually to see one and can confirm that it is still a stunning piece of design.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 pm 
Coachbuilder

Entirely by coincidence I picked up a copy of Motor Sport for May 1974 this afternoon. It contained an article about the Monica which contains the following information:

"The first prototype ran in bare chassis form at Silverstone in 1968 and was clad later with a Pritchard and Williams-built bodyintended to make the car practical for development purposes rather than as a design exercise, the same applying to the second prototype....

....the standard of luxury,and consequently the weight, rose with the third body clad with a body designed by Collinee and Rascanu and constructed by Vignale. Later, supposedly definitive aluminium prototypes were built by Airflow Streamlines of Northampton in late 1970 and mounted on the first chassis to be constructed in France....

....At this stage David Coward was brought in from James Young to finalise the styling and interior design....

....Earlier (..than 1974...) David Coward had found time to be overtaking Monica in Vignale guise, so the side window line had been lowered and the screen deepened to bring her more up to date, and he body lowered by three inches (between floor pan and roof, not roof and ground) and four inches added to the width..."

The article has illustrations of the two totally different (both from each other and the third car) prototypes, and is well worth searching out. Very easy if you have the appropriate Motor Sport CD or DVD or whatever; more time-consuming if, like myself, you have to avoid being diverted by thumbing through "real" copies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 pm 
Master coachbuilder

About 10 years ago I bought a run of MotorSport from 1950 until 1980 for next to nothing. I find them hugely entertaining, and particulary find myself picking one up when I have to be busy otherwise (no, I will go into that further). Old issues of Motor or Autocar, particulary Show issues from the Twenties until the Seventies I can also recommend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 pm 
Coachbuilder

So it's only the 3rd prototype that was made by Vignale?

Attachments:
Vignale Monica 2.jpg
Vignale Monica 2.jpg [ 13.63 KiB | Viewed 1679 times ]
vignale Monica.jpg
vignale Monica.jpg [ 28.03 KiB | Viewed 1679 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Vignale finalised the design as shown. The final version is to a large extent based on it. Reason Vignale did not get involved anymore was because he had died, and his workshop had been disbanded and sold on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 am 
Coachbuilder

Just to throw another element into the works, it seems that the initial styling model was made by Chapron - but of course that does not mean that there was any design influence. I think that we must accept that the basic design was the work of Tony Rascanu, a Rumanian of whom I know nothing, with refinements from David Coward. The level of involvement of Robert Collinee I do not know, other than that his name gets mentioned.

As far as Vignale is concerned, I agree with Rob, Signor Vignale died at around this time (1969/70?) and the company was in some disarray. Whether they actually built the remaining cars is somewhat academic, as they would have been working as manufacturing sub-contractors.

I expect Chris Lawrence will know the answers should anyone wish to contact him!

Clive

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:19 pm 
Coachbuilder

Have also admired the Monica since first seen it in book long ago. So I was very happy some years ago to find out a Monica is around in my town! :D

The swedish Monica, most likely the one that was on display at Frankfurt auto show 1972.

Attachments:
20010704viking04monica.jpg
20010704viking04monica.jpg [ 512.05 KiB | Viewed 1648 times ]
 Profile E-mail