Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE

Post subject: True or false?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 pm 
Coachbuilder

Can anyone tell me truth about this chassis and body?

This car has often been described as a Mercedes-Benz SSK with a body by Saoutchik, but then so has the "Trossi" car. There are many shortened S and SS chassis, but it doesn't make them SSKs. The coachwork doesn't display any obvious Saoutchik hallmarks. I would have expected something much more dramatic from the Master Coachbuilder - so what is the connection?

Clive

Attachments:
JSSSKhmmm.jpg
JSSSKhmmm.jpg [ 38.7 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: True or false?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
Master coachbuilder

I remember this car being offered as such, a Saoutchik body. It had long flowing front wings though. Can you tell me how long ago this pic was taken? I think it might be black now (body that is, not the bonnet), or, as an alternative there is a small series of similar cars.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 pm 
Coachbuilder

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure when the picture was taken, I have had it filed away as "suspect" for a few years. You cannot see it very well in the photo but it does have a very nice "engine-turned" bonnet.

I'm interested that you think there might be a series - bit like all those Bugattis from South America?

(I do hope I'm not offending anyone if this car is real in every way!)

Clive

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Yes and no. Yes, there are now more SSK Mercedes than ever were built by the factory. Only a few are genuine swb SSK cars. I do not think that like the Bugatti's you refer to, these cars are already available as all new cars like some Bugatti's are. I think quite a few K, S and SS chassis in defunct state have been reconstructed in a SSK fashion. There may be a small series of bodies produced. It is funny that the overhang of the bonnet, also shown with a very nice SSK for sale in the Netherlands, does give the car a flashy look, but very few or perhaps none of the SSK were delivered with this. In the late twenties the bonnets were without overhang, and the cut-off thus is vertical. Only later bodies extended up to the front windscreen. So there two, perhaps three, or more cars which all have this machine turned overhanging bonnet. It looks great though. Who has more pics of similar cars? (The car bodied by Gläser does have overhang, but is assumed not be the first body, I think?)

Attachments:
SSK with bonnet overhang 2.jpg
SSK with bonnet overhang 2.jpg [ 34 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
SSK with bonnet overhang 1.jpg
SSK with bonnet overhang 1.jpg [ 31.12 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
 Profile E-mail