Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Grose Rolls-Royce
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Sergej wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Grose Rolls-Royce Phantom II Limousine

Anybody knows the chassis no. ?

This quite a puzzling one. Not listed by L. Dalton. Mistake by Dalton or maybe it's not by Grose. I'm studing it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 am 
Master coachbuilder

Alan Burman / Joseph Grose and the Motor Car :

"Grose coachwork also featured on other stands at the show. Rolls-Royce displayed an imposing enclosed drive, four-door, six-light saloon on the big 40/50hp chassis. Designed to be light and airy, it boasted large windows of Protectoglass, although the louvre ventilators over the four doors attracted some criticism from purists who felt that they spoiled the lines of the sleek grey and black body." (Olympia 1931)

and Olympia 1933 :
"At the same show, but on the Rolls-Royce stand, was exhibited another example of Grose coachwork. This was a beautiful eclosed limousine with a rakishly low roof line mounted on a 45/50hp Phantom II chassis. This was identical with a design drawn up and built earlier that year especially for Mr. E.V.Bowater, the son of the ex-Lord Mayor of London."

Maybe this will help to identify the car we see above,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am 
Master coachbuilder

TommyK wrote:

"Grose coachwork also featured on other stands at the show. Rolls-Royce displayed an imposing enclosed drive, four-door, six-light saloon on the big 40/50hp chassis. Designed to be light and airy, it boasted large windows of Protectoglass, although the louvre ventilators over the four doors attracted some criticism from purists who felt that they spoiled the lines of the sleek grey and black body." (Olympia 1931)

and Olympia 1933 :
"At the same show, but on the Rolls-Royce stand, was exhibited another example of Grose coachwork. This was a beautiful eclosed limousine with a rakishly low roof line mounted on a 45/50hp Phantom II chassis. This was identical with a design drawn up and built earlier that year especially for Mr. E.V.Bowater, the son of the ex-Lord Mayor of London."

Thank you Pipo and Tommy =)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:50 pm 
Master coachbuilder

TommyK wrote:

and Olympia 1933 :

First of all: the car shown is more likely to be 1931 than 1933. In fact, the desciption above matches this.
However - and this is in no way criticsm on TommyK, Grose had neither a Phantom II bodied by them on the Rolls-Royce stand in 1931 nor in 1933. The chassis numbers on the stand in 1931 were 11JS (Continental chassis with Hooper touring saloon and 10JS, a Barker 'Pullman' Limousine.
Likewise, in 1933, 8PY, a Barker Continental Touring Saloon and 6PY, a Hooper Limousine were shown.
Rolls-Royce never delivered a new Phantom II chassis to Grose, and certainly would not have chosen a second tier coachbuilder to promote their flagship products, aggravating the established coachbuilders who were regulary providing good business to them when the economic crisis made life difficult enough as it was. To be asked by Rolls Royce to provide them with a body on show was also the opportunity to show an extra car on the show after all, at no cost. Hence Barker, Hooper and occasionally Thrupp & Maberley produced the bodies for the large chassis Rolls-Royce cars in the period 1929 - 1938.
So: the story in the book on Grose rather gildens the lily, or rather, it is incorrect as far as the Motor Show is concerned. Fact remains that there is a car shown which may or may not have been bodied by Grose, looks very much 1929/1930 (distinctly vintage) to me, but which may have a rebody on a 1929 or 1930 chassis by a coachbuilder which forte was on the 'lesser' motor cars. I know of two rebodies by Grose as an omnibus and a caravan, and this isn't that either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Thank you ! :good:
I believe your knowledge !

Probably the Grose family had dreamed about a Grose-body on the Rolls-Royce stand ;)

I think, the body of the car above is by Grose, the same background we see often with Grose-bodied cars and also the style of the body we can find with other chassis.

with greetings
Tommy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 pm 
Master coachbuilder

From "The Autocar" 1930:

Attachments:
grose 001.jpg
grose 001.jpg [ 245.53 KiB | Viewed 1319 times ]
grose 002.jpg
grose 002.jpg [ 349.73 KiB | Viewed 1319 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:29 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Like I said before: looks very much 1929/1930 (distinctly vintage) to me. Glad I got that right. Now either all the books are wrong, or the car was a rebody, or unsold and rebodied perhaps even as a new chassis before guarantee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm 
Coachbuilder

robgeelen wrote:
Like I said before: looks very much 1929/1930 (distinctly vintage) to me. Glad I got that right. Now either all the books are wrong, or the car was a rebody, or unsold and rebodied perhaps even as a new chassis before guarantee.

This is probably a rebody on an older chassis. Those people who have been through all the Phantom II archives held by the Sir Henry Royce Foundation have found no body by Grose. They did body a late Phantom I with a fixed head coupe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 am 
Master coachbuilder

Thank you all ! (BTW where are the ambulances you posted yesterday?)

But nevertheless it is, in my opinion, a nice car !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:15 pm 
Master coachbuilder

(I'll repost because is vanished) No. I do have find a Grose PII, a van/bus (posted here) . Is a second body on chassis 74GN, formerly an Arthur Mulliner limousine which also had a third body, a nice saloon by Wilkinson. Perhaps Grose took advantage of having temporarily a Phantom chassis to present a creation of their own. Only an assumption.

Attachments:
74GN grose UT7161 .png
74GN grose UT7161 .png [ 299.69 KiB | Viewed 1290 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Grose also has rebodied #78GN as a Caravan, ex-Park Ward Limousine

Profile E-mail