Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE
We need your donation to keep the site free for all!
We need your support
to keep our site free for all!

Post subject: Paris Salons
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm 
Craftsman

Hey guys,

I know some of you over there has an aswer to my question.I know in Us starting from 1904 there were two major auto shows:one it was the National Automobile Show (held in New York for the first time in 1900)for productions cars and the other named Automobile Salon dedicated to the luxury cars and of course to coachbuilders.
I would like to know if France, especially Paris, had any show reserved for luxury cars only.A lot of coachbuilders exibited their creations at the famous Salon de L'Automobile de Paris but i don't know if they had somethig similar to the american Automobile Salon where exibitors were only the high end cars manufactures and premier coachbuilders.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Paris Salons
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:57 pm 
Coachbuilder

Hi Daniel,

I've never heard of another Salon in Paris dedicated to luxury cars. I doubt there were some. I think the concours d'élégance (2 in june in Paris and many others around France) filled this role. But i'll check tomorrow to be sure.
Nowadays, there's the Top Marques salon in Monaco.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Paris Salons
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:20 pm 
Master coachbuilder

All pre war Motor Shows, be it Paris, London, Berlin, Milan, Geneva, Amsterdam or Brussels to mention the most profilic were for showing all motor cars from the most simple to the most luxury examples. London was slightly different in the sense that all exhibiting coachbuilders were together, but many marque stands showed coachbuild cars as well, and coachbuild did not necessarily mean luxury. It is odd in a way, that the land of equal opportunity differed from the rest in having a show for the right crowd without crowding. How very elitist... ;)

Profile E-mail