Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE

Post subject: 1926 Rolls-Royce (12 DC)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 pm 
Rookie

I have hit a brick wall while researching my museum's 1926 Rolls-Royce (12 DC ) and would appreciate any and all information that you good readers may have.

I have purchased the build history which showed the car being shipped to Kellner for the buyer Mr. Lit in 1926. Outside of this information, I know next to nothing about the car titled by Ralph G Burhart in 1961.

I would really like to know about the updates on the car. For instance, the skirted fenders, when would this change have been added.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments:
1926RollsRoyceptr.jpg
1926RollsRoyceptr.jpg [ 566.16 KiB | Viewed 494 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 1926 Rolls-Royce (12 DC)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Master coachbuilder

A few questions:
1. I have the original body down as a Cabriolet: this seems to be a Limousine de Ville.
2. The style of the whole body is more modern than a 1926 body would be. I think it is safe to assume it has been rebodied at some time.
3. When supplied, export cars would have a louvred bonnet. This hasn't.
Based on the picture shown I have little further to go on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 pm 
Rookie

1. I have the original body down as a Cabriolet: this seems to be a Limousine de Ville.

-The build history had Cabriolet written but it was crossed out an "enclosed" was written.

2. The style of the whole body is more modern than a 1926 body would be. I think it is safe to assume it has been rebodied at some time.

-I have assumed that it has been modified, but to what extent???
-I have read Kellner had a tag on their bodies, where was this generally located?

3. When supplied, export cars would have a louvred bonnet. This hasn't.
-You right it doesn't.
-Do you think this could be a whole new body made to look like a Kellner? I really do not have much to go on either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm 
Master coachbuilder

There generally is a label on the outside (side of the body) with French bodies stating the builder (Kellner) and a number. Do you have side views of this car?
Was this car delivered in France, or was it supplied to a foreign customer? Quite a few were supplied to other nationals who lived in France for a while. Lots of French bodied cars were rebodied: fashion dictated that, or a different body was required at a certain moment by either a new owner or the same owner in a different country.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:08 pm 
Master coachbuilder

I have seen other pics elsewhere
describing the body as being by Holbrook. That I find quite likely to be the case, as a second body. At the same tiem I have noted that many of the instruments fitted are the American variety usually found on Springfield, USA produced chassis, which were most likely fitted when the current body was fitted , in the thrirties.

Profile E-mail