Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 am 
Master coachbuilder

Location: Bilthoven
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 4859
46 with Gangloff Faux Cabriolet


Attachments:
Faux_Cabriolet_Gangloff.jpg
Faux_Cabriolet_Gangloff.jpg [ 96.86 KiB | Viewed 1156 times ]
Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 am 
Master coachbuilder

Location: Bilthoven
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 4859
Another 46, a Decapotable by Gangloff, but this time witha sign saying Genève...


Attachments:
prospekt2.jpg
prospekt2.jpg [ 52.32 KiB | Viewed 1156 times ]
normal_DH_Coupe_by_Gangloff_(1a).jpg
normal_DH_Coupe_by_Gangloff_(1a).jpg [ 19.65 KiB | Viewed 1156 times ]
Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
Master coachbuilder
User avatar

Location: Weiterstadt/Darmstadt
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 28754
Gangloff Geneve Bugatti T 49 Cabriolet


Attachments:
gangloffgenfbugatti 001.jpg
gangloffgenfbugatti 001.jpg [ 143.37 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]
Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:52 am 
Master coachbuilder
User avatar

Location: Weiterstadt/Darmstadt
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 28754
February 1977


Attachments:
gangloffbugatti-77.JPG
gangloffbugatti-77.JPG [ 92.39 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]
Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am 
Rookie

Location: near Moscow
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 pm
Posts: 6
T57 chassis #57250 1935


Attachments:
57250 1935 06.jpg
57250 1935 06.jpg [ 31.42 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
57250 1935 05.jpg
57250 1935 05.jpg [ 31.98 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
57250 1935 04.jpg
57250 1935 04.jpg [ 27.85 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
57250 1935 03.jpg
57250 1935 03.jpg [ 28.75 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
57250 1935 02.jpg
57250 1935 02.jpg [ 53.66 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
57250 1935 01.jpg
57250 1935 01.jpg [ 59.41 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gangloff Geneve Bugatti
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:52 am 
Rookie

Location: near Moscow
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 pm
Posts: 6
chassis #57250 story

1935 BUGATTI TYPE 57 COUPE GANGLOFF
Not registered
Chassis: 57250
Engine: 59294/ 141

- Unique 57 model
- Fresh from complete restoration
- 2-seater Coupé by Gangloff
- Ex Dovaz Collection

In search of its origins
The car presented at auction today was delivered new in Switzerland in 1935. It was discovered without an engine in a garage in Geneva in 1955. Photographic documents circa 1936 provide us with the name of its first owner, and show us a plaque belonging to the coachbuilder Gangloff. The design of the original bonnet suggests a car sold before the October 1935 Motor Show. Armed with this information and having consulted Swiss importation documentation on the Type 57s sold in Switzerland in 1935, there is only one chassis number that could possibly belong to this 3-seater coupé. It is the Bugatti Type 57 chassis 57250 engine 168.

Order and delivery
The Type 57 chassis with engine 168 was assembled with the chassis and engine numbers 166 to 172. The car was given the series number 57250. The vehicle was delivered on 8 February 1935 to the Swiss agent B.U.C.A.R. in Zurich. However the final destination was the dealer in Geneva, Jean SECHAUD. His showroom was situated on 26-28 rue de la Coulouvrenière.
The garage, with a repair workshop was next door at 23 rue du Stand. The car, in chassis form, was invoiced for 43.748ff. It left the factory by road on 8 February. The frontier was crossed at the Basel-Lisbuche, and at the border post, the weight was recorded as 1,030 kg, which informs us that the car hadn't been bodied in France.
A photo of this coupé at a Concours d'Elégance in front of the Palace d'Ollons - Villars, probably in 1935 as captioned on the reverse, shows a plaque at the base of the door that is typical of the Maison Gangloff. The Bugatti appears to be uniformly black. It is a coupé with a third seat in the back, facing the road. As the car wasn't bodied by the Gangloff workshop in Colmar, and doesn't feature in his book, the first owner from Geneva must have entrusted this chassis to the Gangloff business in Geneva. A photo from Swiss archives shows the Bugatti after an accident in 1936. The caption gives the name of the owner as Mr. TURRETTINI.

André Turrettini (1907-1984)
This doctor from an old family from Geneva became a renowned gynecological obstetrician. He practiced in Lausanne and published reference articles in the medical press at the end of the 1930s. He then opened a surgery on place Claparède in Geneva. Turrettini appears to have owned at least three Bugatti, all rare and exclusive models. Newly wed in 1934 he acquired second-hand a very rare coupé type 49 Jean Bugatti. In the spring 1935, he ordered his second Bugatti, the Type 57 coupé presented here. In 1948 followed a second-hand 57C cabriolet Aravis Gangloff.

A Swiss history.
Chassis 57250 was transported from Molsheim to Geneva during this first week of February 1935. The car was undoubtedly entrusted to the Gangloff workshop. La carrosserie G. Gangloff S.A founded in 1830, was on avenue Blanc-Sécheron in Geneva. Few Bugatti were still bodied by this workshop since Bugatti worked in strict collaboration with the workshop in Colmar. George Gangloff bought the Wiederkehr coachbuilder in Colmar in 1927. He founded a branch in Bern in 1929. The work at the Geneva workshop was supported until 1936. Financial problems then forced Gangloff to sell his business to two of his workshop managers.
We know of a faux cabriolet on a type 50 chassis that was created by Gangloff Geneva in 1931.
Chassis 57250 appears to have been the only Type 57 given to the Geneva coachbuilder, and was certainly the last Bugatti to be built there. The construction of this coupé took about two months as the only Bugatti registered in 1935 in the Geneva region was in April. The chassis had been delivered at the start of February. That summer, the Bugatti took part in a Concours d'Elégance in front of the Palace d'Ollon-Villars, as the photo shows here. The Gangloff plaque can be made out at the base of the door. The photo has the inscription on the reverse: «Bugatti élégance Suisse 35 ". The attire of the audience in front of the palace, situated at an altitude of 1,300m suggests that it was a pleasant summer's day. The Concours d'Elégance was held on the place des sports in front of the palace tennis courts. The edition of the newspaper “La Patrie Suisse” dated 19 September 1936 published a snapshot of the Bugatti in a race called la radio-estafette Suisse. Cars, bikes, runners and motorcyclists travelled a distance of 800km. The Bugatti coupé was photographed at Versoix, during the exchange of the relay button by a motorcycle.

André Turrettini loved sport and fast cars. After Bugatti there were Aston Martins. Family recollections tell of various accidents and dented metal. A photographic document shows the car having had an accident at Cully between Vevey and Lausanne. The snapshot carries the words «voiture Turrettini". The registration plate GE 18262 from Geneva refers to his residence Camp Rigot in Bellevue, which was his family home. The accident must have happened soon after he bought the car, in 1936 or 1937. Before it was restored, the car wore a coachbuilder's plaque that must have indicated the name of the workshop responsible for the repair work following the accident at Curry. This was the Carrosserie Fontana stuated at 3 rue du Simplon in Renens, near Vevey. This business appears not to have built bodies for luxury cars but was renowned for repair work.
Turrettini remained faithful to his Bugatti for more than ten years. He kept it throughout the war, only sold it in 1948. The car was advertised for sale in a small ad in the magazine Automobile de Bern on 28 November 1948. The text read: «Bugatti 57 coupé, 3 places, parfait état, cause double emploi. Prix Fr .7000.Pour rens: Garage du Lac, Bellevue, Genève. «There is no doubt that this was Turrettini's car. The “Garage du Lac“ was on the road to Lausanne, in Bellevue, where the doctor had his family home. The manager of the garage, Eugène Hönninger, had always looked after Turrettini's cars. This mechanic had trained in Versoix, working for J.Villars who owned a stable of racing cars at the start of the 1930s. Hönninger set up business in Bellevue in 1934. During November 1948, the Turrettini family was expanding with the birth of a son Jean-Michel. The doctor therefore bought himself the magnificent 1939 Aravis Gangloff cabriolet that had belonged to H.Trümpy from Glarus.

The 1935 Coupe 57 Gangloff remained in the Geneva area and we come across it again at the start of the 1950s registered with the number GE 25061 " Bugatti type 57 chassis 57250, limousine noire " in the name of CHENEVIERE Yves, Geneva.
The Bugatti with closed bodies are often referred to as limousines in Swiss police documents, even for two-seater coupés. The fact that chassis 57250 was still driving around in Geneva, during the 1950s, reinforces our conviction that this is Turrettini's car. Yves Chenevière (1911-1978) kept the car until the engine gave up the ghost. The Bugatti was then found in 1955 in Geneva, on the left bank of the lake, in a garage in the Eaux Vives neighborhood, belonging to the mechanic GAILLEPAN. He had taken on a proportion of the Bugatti clients from the Sechaud dealer, being one of their best mechanics. He opened a small garage on the rue du Roveray. The workshop, behind large glass doors only had room for two or three cars, nearly always Bugatti.
The car was discovered there by an enthusiast from Geneva: Michel DOVAZ, born in 1928, he first discovered the world of Bugatti motorcars in 1948. That was the year he acquired his first Pur-Sang, a Type 49 cabriolet, from Roger Teillac of avenue de Suffren in Paris. More than twenty Bugatti passed through his hands during the 1950s. He kept a vivid memory of his 57 coupé. According to Dovaz, the car was displayed at the Geneva Motor Show. If the information is correct, this must have been in March 1935. The body must therefore have been built in less than five weeks.

In Gaillepan's garage lay this car without its engine. It would probably have been destroyed in the absence of a suitable mechanic. Dovaz procured the engine from a Type 57 belonging to Raoul Wander from Bern who was the owner of an aviation company. Dovaz scrapped the rest of the car. In makeshift premises in Geneva, he installed the engine into the 57 coupé himself before taking the car back to Paris. The bodywork was rather tired. The wood was dry and cracking. Dovaz used the car for a while without restoring it. The vehicle was parked, like several other of his Bugatti, in streets around the jardin du Luxembourg, near his home at 95 Boulevard Saint Michel. One morning the bonnet, a large and beautiful piece of aluminium, disappeared; it wasn't replaced and the Bugatti didn't drive again.
The engine bears the numbers 59294/ 141. This series number was used on the Vanvooren cabriolet, chassis 57407, belonging to Dovaz. The coupé 57250, meanwhile, received the papers for 57407. Thus, on 25 September 1956, chassis 47407 was registered with the number 8296 BJ 75 in the name of Michel Dovaz. In 1956, therefore, either the Vanvooren cabriolet or the Gangloff coupé were driving with this identity.
The Vanvooren cabriolet was sold in May 1958 with the number 57294. In 1964, the coupé 57 left Paris along with some forty other cars including eight Bugatti. The collection belonging to Dovaz lay untouched for some twenty years in an old farm in the hamlet of Villemaréchal in Seine et Marne. The discovery of these sleeping beauties in 1983, by journalists in need of a story, forced the owner to move this spectacular group of cars that now amounted to about sixty. The 57 coupé and the other Bugatti were put on display in 1989-1990 in a former garage in Sarlat that had been turned into a museum. When the exhibition finished, the car and six other Bugatti were sold to Jean-Michel BONABOSCH, an industrialist from Lyon. He founded the Laboratoires Domilens in 1983 which quickly became European market leaders in ocular implants, through the manufacture of artificial lenses. The adventure lasted for some ten years, and then, plagued by financial problems, he was forced to sell his collection at auction, in the Hôtel des Ventes de Lyon Brotteaux, run by the auctioneer Maitre J-C Anaf, in 1993. On 16 March 1993, the 57 coupé was bought for 850,000ff by an Italian enthusiast, who is the owner of this magnificent automobile today. In 1996, he entrusted the car to the Novaira workshop in Turin to be completely restored. They have created a jewel that now shines as brightly as the day it left the Gangloff workshop.

The long restoration process was completed this year.

Pierre-Yves LAUGIER pour ARTCURIAL April 2013


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

-->

DONATE
We offer our forum and encyclopedia as a FREE service. We run this website as a
collective effort for you and fellow enthusiasts, aiming to help preserve this unique
part of automotive heritage. Hosting and maintaining our (60GB!) website, database
and forum is a huge and costly effort. If you enjoy this forum please support us
by making a small donation here; your support is highly appreciated
and we can keep the site free for all!





Copyright © 2008-2019 COACHBUILD.com - Powered by phpBB
Published by NAIT Media Ventures - All rights reserved