Other language

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | HELP | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE

Post subject: 1928 Rolls-Royce PI, H&D Transformal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 pm 
Rookie

I recently joined this forum hoping to better understand how Hibbard and Darrin ran their business operations in 1928. My knowledge of H&D operations in Paris is quite limited and it is my hope a member or members will provide me accurate descriptions of day to day activities.
I currently own 4 Rolls-Royce automobiles, 3, pre-war and 1 post-war. The most recent addition to my collection is a 1928 Springfield Rolls-Royce Phantom I (S 339 KP) with Hibbard and Darrin "Transformal" coachwork. This vehicle was purchased new by a prominent businessman who had a residence in Detroit, Michigan USA. Records of Ownership of this vehicle indicate it has never left the greater Detroit metropolitan area. I have managed to locate and communicate with decadents of the original owner. I purchased the vehicle from the wife of the most recent owner. It was in his possession since 1970. It was then that owner completely disassembled the vehicle. Its current state has the frame and suspension restored (disassembled, degreased, prepped, primed and painted in an Imron finish) but disassembled. The coach has been disassembled, stripped (any deficiencies corrected ((wood and metal work complete))). The original interior and hood are untouched. German Silver Brightwork has not been touched but nice. I could go on and on but you get the picture.

I am a retired Staff Engineer and spent much of my 36 year career in the area of design and development with most of the time assigned to the Performance Platforms in the area of Engine Emissions and Driveability. I guess you can say I do indeed have motor oil in my blood.

The "Transformal" coachwork is most exciting and has a H&D body number of 768. The famous Marlene Dietrich car (S 317 KP) has a H&D body number of 767 (11 chassis numbers apart), Consecutive H&D body numbers but 11 chassis numbers apart (only odd numbers were only used in this series).

I am interested in learning how the chassis received the coachwork. I has heard the coaches we "in white" and sent to Springfield where the Springfield facility would marry the chassis/coach. I have also heard the chassis was sent to France where the coach was erected and interior finished. These are issues I would like to resolve. Also, I would like to fine photos of the H&D design, engineering and assemble facilities.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Derbyncrewe

Profile E-mail