>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Post subject: Searching for a car
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am 
Rookie

Hi,

I am trying to find information regarding a 1935 rolls Royce that my late grandfather owned. Although he was not the original owner of the car he kept this for over 55years and it is believed by our family that this vehicle was still in his possession on his passing however where he stored it remains a mystery.

All I know is that he bought the car from a David bellis. The last digits of the chassis number was DK and the carriage was built by park ward.

I am lead to believe that park ward made 200 carriages in this year, however trying to find further information is proving difficult without a registration or a photograph.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Kerry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Searching for a car
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm 
Craftsman

Sounds like a Phantom 2 if it ends with a two-letter code. DK doesn't fit easily with 1935. Which country in involved?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 am 
Coachbuilder

Hi Kerry
Are you sure it wasn't a 1925 car, as chassis numbers for a 1925 series of Twenty HP cars were GDK, and a number were built by Park Ward.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 am 
Craftsman

Yes, could be: the big 8-litre cars had number pattern like 27 XJ, 2 letters last; while the small horsepower (eg 3.5 litre 20/25 models) were like GXJ 27, 3 letters first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 am 
Rookie

Phantom3 wrote:
Hi Kerry
Are you sure it wasn't a 1925 car, as chassis numbers for a 1925 series of Twenty HP cars were GDK, and a number were built by Park Ward.

Thanks for replying,
I am only able to go by the information provided by the man who sold the car to my grandfather.
His information was that it was a 1935 parkward 3.5 litre saloon ending with chassis DK.
I was given information of the 32 parkward carriages built in that year, however this information holds no clues as ownership names are not familiar.
I feel this search may take a very long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Any detailed information? Names, places, dates? Where is the car supp
osed to have been? The UK, USA, Europe? It is a Bentley chassisnr, BTW, not Rolls-Royce

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 am 
Craftsman

Yes: a chassis number ending in DK, and with a 3.5 litre engine, can't be a 20/25 HP Rolls; it has to be a Bentley 3 1/2 litre. Bentley chassis numbers are typically B (for Bentley) then 2 or 3 numbers, then a two-letter suffix: eg B 198 DK. A DK chassis number would have been used in 1934, but the car's body by Park Ward (and about half of all 3 1/2 litre Bentleys had Park Ward bodies) may not have been completed and the car delivered until 1935, so the date fits well enough.

Good hunting. But you'll need to specify country: narrows the field considerably.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 am 
Rookie

RROCWA wrote:
Yes: a chassis number ending in DK, and with a 3.5 litre engine, can't be a 20/25 HP Rolls; it has to be a Bentley 3 1/2 litre. Bentley chassis numbers are typically B (for Bentley) then 2 or 3 numbers, then a two-letter suffix: eg B 198 DK. A DK chassis number would have been used in 1934, but the car's body by Park Ward (and about half of all 3 1/2 litre Bentleys had Park Ward bodies) may not have been completed and the car delivered until 1935, so the date fits well enough.

Good hunting. But you'll need to specify country: narrows the field considerably.

Thanks,
It could be that I am wrong in that it's a Bentley, he owned a Bentley brooklands and silver spur also. The car would be in either England or Ireland. My ignorance made me think Bentley and rolls were almost the same as I read they kind of merged companies.
I will continue my quest in searching and hope that I am offered more info from the original seller of the car to my grandfather.

Profile E-mail