>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 am

Post subject: Karosserie Weingartshofer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm 
Craftsman

This is an Austrian coachbuilder. First I found a photo of a nice, specially bodied VW Transporter created by them in 1955. Then there was this ad from 1913. It didn't make much sense, but apparently this is the same company.

Though their letterhead says that the company was set up in 1869, but as a registered company it was incorporated in 1913 as Karosseriebau Weingartshofer & Gries in 1913. It was set up by Ludwig Weingartshofer and Franz Gries. Gries was replaced by another partner in 1917, who also left the company in 1926. The name was changed to Karosseriebau Weingartshofer then. It was located in Wien, 9th district, Alserbachstrasse 4.
The company survived the 2nd WW. Unfortunately Ludwig Weingartshofer died in March, 1945 followed by his wife, Josefina in 1948. They were survived by their daughters: Auguste Tomman, who was living in Inssbruck, Maria Buchinger in Seefeld, Anna Drabek, Margarethe Kordik, Sophie Schichow and Josefine Laher. There was a son, Ludwig Weingartshofer jr. (1916-?) who ran the company
In the 1950s assembly and rebody of VW Transporters were popular in Austria. In addition to Weingartshofer, Kohlruss and Kastenhofer also assembled some special bodied Transporters.
Later in the 1960s, the company advertised itself as "Spezialwerkstatte für reparaturen von Havarien und für Autocamping".
Ludwig Weingratshofer (the third I am aware of) (1948-?) joined the company in 1978.
Two years later Weingratshofer closed its doors. Over the decades it was located at the same spot in the 9th district.

Attachment:
weingartshofer_osterreichischer_motor_1921_23-24_p54a.jpg
weingartshofer_osterreichischer_motor_1921_23-24_p54a.jpg [ 37.13 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

Attachment:
748998.jpg
748998.jpg [ 152.9 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Karosserie Weingartshofer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm 
Apprentice

Hello pnegyesi!

Thank you for posting all of this highly interesting information!
Do you still know where you found this information and photo?

I am asking because i am highly interested in further information and pictures about coachbuilder that worked with VW Transporters.
Such as the ones from my hometown, Vienna, that you mentioned. I would highly appreciate every kind of further information!

Thank you,
Austrobus

Profile E-mail