>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Post subject: Reviving old coachbuilders. Your opinion please!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you for your opinion about reviving old coachbuilders.
Some old Coachbuilder's names (Touring, Castagna, a.o.) have been revived, some with more success than others. There may be more to follow.

When is it OK to revive and old name? And when or how it's not?

And if you were asked to name just one coachbuilder to be revived, which one should that be?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Reviving old coachbuilders. Your opinion please!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 am 
Master coachbuilder

Reviving old names from the automotive world is a common practice in present years to create an heritage for a new maker/coachbuilder, starting from existing roots and not from "scratch". However what I see is that the solution doesn't work really well and in fact the only modern coachbuilders with an ancient name able to survive are those with a real ancient story. In Italy only Zagato and Pininfarina are still alive as brands in the coachbuilding industry (but both not as real coachbuilders) and recent revival attempts failed sooner or later (Touring, Castagna, Viotti). Even Bertone, with a great past, is now dead. Ferrari builds specials but has already a famous name. Other design studios like Fioravanti are not coachbuilders and work as design studios for others. Let's see what Giugiaro would do in the future...
What I think: reviving an old name is not a successful idea, but it's just my personal opinion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm 
Rookie

Michiel Mobiel wrote:
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you for your opinion about reviving old coachbuilders.
Some old Coachbuilder's names (Touring, Castagna, a.o.) have been revived, some with more success than others. There may be more to follow.

When is it OK to revive and old name? And when or how it's not?

And if you were asked to name just one coachbuilder to be revived, which one should that be?

Personally I think that the problem of releasing ancient brands requires so much passion as well as skills and particularly inspired and enlightened men.
Take for example the revival of the very famous Bugatti brand, according to you the current production reflects the philosophy of its founder Ettore Bugatti?
For me absolutely no, it is enough to compare a type 35 of the time with the current Chiron to realize it immediately.
The Type 35 gives a sense of lightness, dynamism, elegance and genius only to look at it even now after many years ...
The Chiron vice versa looks more like a muscle car design rather massive and stocky that does not express any agility but only power turpe ... just to be clear is like wanting to compare a Silvan elf with an Oruk Uruk-hai Tolkien.
This is because those who wanted to revive the brand does not have the same DNA as the founder, I explain better:

If the relaunch of the Bugatti brand took place through people like Oracio Pagani, Nicola Materazzi, Marcello Gandini, Franco Sbarro, Massimo Tamburini, Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani and Loris Bicocchi just to name a few ...
Probably it would have obtained a car more in line with the constructive vision of Ettore Bugatti even if light years away from the cornerstones that were at the base of his business philosophy, where the creative activity had to be manifestation and crowning of the personality and not a mere means of earning .

The latter concept is absolutely absent in today's production of Chiron ... and in many other attempts to relaunch more or less successful.
Yet I am convinced that never before has the need for a return to the origins in the automotive sector to be fundamental, because the concept of cars is rapidly disappearing, suffocated by industrial synergies 4.0 and by hi-tech systems such as autonomous driving (in my opinion a real and insult to motorsport and racing enthusiasts who will soon be deprived from the roar of engines supplanted by the electric)
Even stylistically, models that stand out for their originality and beauty are increasingly rare.
Lines anonymous and lacking in appeal are the master on the streets of every day, and the cars I see leaving the design competitions projected to 2025 or 2050 make me shiver.
Rather than renouncing future designs in prestigious academies to tear themselves up in front of computers on which complex CAD programs run, you should let them attend events such as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and really make them understand what it means to build and design timeless cars.
Sorry for my bad english ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Well spoken!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm 
Rookie

It's usually 'badge engineering', trying to make us believe there is some heritage behind it. In my opinion it is a con. so I'm not a fan.

Profile E-mail