>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 am

Post subject: Reviving old coachbuilders. Your opinion please!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you for your opinion about reviving old coachbuilders.
Some old Coachbuilder's names (Touring, Castagna, a.o.) have been revived, some with more success than others. There may be more to follow.

When is it OK to revive and old name? And when or how it's not?

And if you were asked to name just one coachbuilder to be revived, which one should that be?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Reviving old coachbuilders. Your opinion please!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 am 
Master coachbuilder

Reviving old names from the automotive world is a common practice in present years to create an heritage for a new maker/coachbuilder, starting from existing roots and not from "scratch". However what I see is that the solution doesn't work really well and in fact the only modern coachbuilders with an ancient name able to survive are those with a real ancient story. In Italy only Zagato and Pininfarina are still alive as brands in the coachbuilding industry (but both not as real coachbuilders) and recent revival attempts failed sooner or later (Touring, Castagna, Viotti). Even Bertone, with a great past, is now dead. Ferrari builds specials but has already a famous name. Other design studios like Fioravanti are not coachbuilders and work as design studios for others. Let's see what Giugiaro would do in the future...
What I think: reviving an old name is not a successful idea, but it's just my personal opinion