>
LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | ENCYCLOPEDIA | MARKETPLACE It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

Post subject: Romanian "bitsas"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:16 pm 
Apprentice

As in many countries after the war, vehicles were in short supply in 1950s and 1960s Romania. Many people consequently built their own from whatever parts were left over from abandoned or crashed vehicles. Some were viewed merely as the most basic transportation, while other builders sought to apply their own unique style to their cars. Very few have survived.

This car, seen in Ploiesti in 1967, was based on a pre-war chassis, with a number of parts from the contemporary Fiat 1300/1500.

Attachments:
1-pl-2261_b.jpg
1-pl-2261_b.jpg [ 49.14 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
1-pl-2261.jpg
1-pl-2261.jpg [ 48.4 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Romanian "bitsas"
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Hi, Adrian,

do You know about books in Romania, for this kind of homework or the Romanian car-history in the 20.th century?

Question and best wishes with greetings to You,

Frank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 pm 
Apprentice

Hi Frank,

I am afraid there is no literature at all, or at least, none with any historic rigour. There is one picture volume of cars owned by the Royal Family, not very exhaustive, and one small booklet specifically about the King's old Jaguar SS100 (#39001), but again with no specific research.

I have a small archive of images and info, however, and am happy to try to answer any questions - if I don't know it, some of my friends in Bucharest will!

Greetings,

Adrian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm 
Master coachbuilder

Hi, Adrian,

thank You for Your answer - maybe, we are to early to ask for some books in it. A book-store in GB has many good offers in Eastern-Europe countries like CS/H/SU/PL in last century-order. In October I will be in TR for one week - hope to find some ineresting news for me/us ...,

... with weekend-greetings to You, Frank ;) .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:26 pm 
Apprentice

There's fascinating stuff on other Eastern European countries - perhaps Romania will catch up...

In the meantime, another photo from the archive. This started off as a BMW 327... Builder was called Ioan Butnaru, a high school engineering teacher. Front end looks to be Pobeda based.

Attachments:
2-B-2723_butnaru_bmw_recarosat.jpg
2-B-2723_butnaru_bmw_recarosat.jpg [ 60.15 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]
 Profile E-mail