1917 Crane-Simplex Victoria - Chassis #2308, Motor #2295 - Body by Kimball.
This car was road tested by the Simplex Test Driver on 2/27/1917 and delivered on 3/1/1917, to the C. P. Kimball & Co., for coachwork. It was tested as car #2308, motor #2295, Carb #311, with a gunboat 4 passenger body.
The automobile was originally purchased by Mr. Warren M. Salisbury as a gift for his wife, Evaline Kimball Salisbury, the niece of William Wallace Kimball, owner of the Kimball Piano Co. Mrs. Salisbury’s monogram, E.K.S. (Evaline Kimball Salisbury) can still be seen on the car. Evaline's uncle, William Wallace Kimball, was a 5th cousin once removed to C.P. Kimball of the coachbuilding firm C.P. Kimball & Co.
1917 photo shows the car parked in the portico of Tor Court, Evaline Kimball Salisbury's home.
Crane at Tor Court.JPG [ 98.26 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
In 1929, during the Great depression, the car was relegated by the Salisburys to a Pittsfield junk dealer for salvage and purchased by Mr. Gordon Snook of Schodack Center, NY. Mr. Snook operated the Frank E. Snook’s Garage, Center and, with his wife, would become very active in The Automobilist of the Upper Hudson Valley. Mrs. Pauline Snook, would become President of the AUHV in July of 1954.
Photo shows Mrs. Snook in the car circa 1957.
Snook on tour in Springfield, MA.JPG [ 85.8 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
Following Mrs. Snook’s passing in 1962, Mr. Snook who survived her, sold the car in 1963 or 1964. It is believed that the car was acquired at that time by Richard C. Paine Jr., the founder of the Seal Cove Auto Museum.
The car remains today in the collection at the Seal Cove Auto Museum as a completely original, unrestored, example of a Crane-Simplex with body by C.P. Kimball.
P5100015.JPG [ 91.17 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]