Karosserie Friedrich Rometsch was a German coachbuilding company, located in Berlin-Halensee and founded in 1924. They produced car bodies on various rolling chassis on customer request. They soon concentrated on producing quality taxi conversions built on Opel models. Because of the war, the firm switched to producing mobile field kitchens. When the war was over Rometsch began to look to build civilian cars again, and the Volkswagen was the inevitable basis for their post war work. The company became known for constructing a lengthened four door VW Beetle Taxi.
Friedrich Rometsch wanted to build an affordable alternative to the flashy sports cars of the day and the Volkswagen Beetle chassis proved to be an ideal starting point. Production began in 1950. Rometsch first offered two models: a coupe and a convertible designed by Johannes Beeskow.
Before Beeskow became chief engineer/designer at Rometsch, he worked as the general manager for Joseph Neuss in Berlin-Halensee, before WWII. In 1933 Erdmann & Rossi took over Neuss and Beeskow continued to work there. After the war he moved to Rometsch and in the mid-'50s he became Karmann's technical manager.
The updated model, which came in 1957, was designed by Bert Lawrence. Lawrence's design was heavily influenced by the American trends. The Lawrence model was available as a coupe and convertible. Production continued until 1961
The Rometsch Volkswagens were constructed entirely by hand, using a steel frame with wood pillars and support beams covered by a lightweight aluminum skin.
In 1961, when the Berlin wall was erected, the East German workforce got separated from the workshop in West Berlin. The Rometsch firm still technically existed after that, but in a much-diminished capacity.
Rometsch was active until the year 2000 in the repairing of touring cars. In 1984 a stretched Range Rover was built for Mr. Honnecker, which was used for hunting trips. In the final years, Rometsch focussed on manufacturing Ambulances.